I really admire those writers who are already busy writing at their computer in the early hours of the morning, or at set-times of the day!
When I worked at a large law firm in Johannesburg, I was frequently at my desk by 7.30 am. However, now I am based at home it is impossible to do that, as I am highly aware of what actually requires to be organized for the day and cannot simply shut the door and take off!
Since sitting at a computer (in my non-writing life) comprised a huge part of my working day in the business world, my preference now is to create and write in long-hand on a notepad, knowing I can speedily type up my notes when required.
I also, importantly, fit into my schedule, my gym and music classes and - being a female - let's not forget the hairdresser, nail bar, pedicure .... or the more mundane tasks of clothes and dish washing, shopping and cooking!
I guess our male writer colleagues have a bit of an advantage in that direction, as they only have to take time off away from their writing if there is a sports event they don't want to miss - or am I being harsh and "stirring up a boiling pot" in making this remark? Ha!
I love it when writer colleagues make the suggestion that, in actual fact, thinking also construes part of creating our stories - thus we can even get our AHA moments whilst hanging up our clothes washing!!
How do you cope with your writing schedule?


No comments:
Post a Comment