Friday, 16 September 2011
The "Sponge" - Where I am Today
I absolutely "soak" up like the most gigantic sponge, the prolific advice offered by existing inspiring and hugely successful authors and editors I follow on Twitter - and it absolutely represents my "daily fix".
However, in writing, for my part, my "first priority" in the "Romance genre" I am creating, is to have a protagonist who is someone I personally and importantly, would want to read about, in the world that is "today"!
Today's woman in fiction, unlike the 1950's/1960's/1970's must have sooooo many dimensions. She is not just pretty - she is most definitely not a reality star - she is not just a raving beauty - she is not just a brain, she is not just a home-maker or momma. Women used to be slotted into either/or .... a blue stocking or a pretty face!
My lady lawyer protagonist will be today's woman - formidable, beautiful, highly intelligent, sensitive - she will have the whole package.
Despite my "sponge" intake of everyone else's experiences and ideas - at the back of my mind is always JK Rowling - who (against all odds) in a lonely apartment in Edinburgh, wrote and re-wrote what she personally believed in. She was young and true to herself. That is what art is about.
Labels:
The_Sponge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment